Allowed documents for DBS disclosures

The list below gives all of the types of documents that you can use to verify your identity when applying for a DBS disclosure.

  • If you have at least one document from Group 1, then you need a total of 3 documents.
  • If you can't produce any document from Group 1, then you will need to produce one document from Group 2a, and a further two documents from Group 2a or 2b.

At least one of the documents must confirm your current address and at least one document must confirm your date of birth. If you're applying for a disclosure through CHaOS, your current address must be your term-time Cambridge address, even if you live elsewhere in the holidays. A college bill is an acceptable document for verifying this.

If you're unsure whether the documents you have access to are sufficient, then it might save time to contact us before coming along to a DBS checking session.

You will also need your national insurance number, passport number and driving license number if you have them- even if you aren't planning to your passport/driving license as ID, and will need to list all addresses you have lived at in the last five years.

We can only accept original documents- scans, photocopies and documents printed from the internet (e.g. internet bank statements) are not acceptable.

Group 1

If you can provide at least one document from this group then you need three documents in total.

Items marked (UK) must be issued by the UK authorities

Group 1 documents
Biometric residence (UK)
Driving Licence (UK/Isle of Man/Channel Islands and EU)
(Full or provisional licence; Photo card and paper counterpart required.)
Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
(Issued at time of date of birth (if issued after birth then falls under Group 2a) – full or short form acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas, such as Embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces)
Adoption certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
Group 2a

If you can only provide Group 2a/b documents then you need one from Group 2a and an additional two from either Group 2a/b.

Items marked * must be less than three months old, and those marked ** must have been issued within past 12 months.

Items marked (UK) must be issued by the UK authorities

Group 2a documents
Current driving licence - old-style paper version (UK)
Current photo driving licence
Non-UK licences must be valid for up to 12 months from the date the applicant entered the UK
Birth certificate - issued after time of birth (UK and Channel Islands)
Marriage/civil partnership certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
HM Forces ID card (UK)
Firearms licence (UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man)
Group 2b documents
Mortgage statement** (UK or EEA)
Bank or building society statement* (UK, Channel Islands or EEA)
Bank or building society account opening confirmation letter* (UK)
Credit card statement* (UK or EEA)
Financial statement e.g. pension or endowment** (UK)
P45 or P60 statement** (UK and Channel Islands)
Council Tax statement** (UK and Channel Islands)
Work permit or visa (UK) Valid up to expiry date
Letter of sponsorship from future employment provider Non-UK or non-EEA only - valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of application, must still be valid
Utility bill* (UK)Not mobile telephone bill
Benefit statement* e.g. Child Benefit, Pension (UK)
Central or local government, government agency, or local council document giving entitlement*, e.g. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, HMRC (UK and Channel Islands)
EU National ID card (must still be valid)
Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK and Channel Islands) Must still be valid
Letter from head teacher or college principal (must still be valid) For 16-19 year olds in full time education - only used in exceptional circumstances