Allowed documents for DBS disclosures

The list below gives all of the types of documents that you can use to verify your identity when applying for a DBS disclosure.

  • If you have at least one document from Group 1, then you need a total of 3 documents (one from group 1, and the other two from any group).
  • If you can't produce any document from Group 1, then you will need to produce at least one document from Group 2A, and 2 further documents from Group 2A or 2B.

At least one of the documents must confirm your current address and at least one document must confirm your date of birth. If you're applying for a disclosure through CHaOS, your current address must be your term-time Cambridge address, even if you live elsewhere in the holidays. A college bill is an acceptable document for verifying this.

If you're unsure whether the documents you have access to are sufficient, then it might save time to contact us before coming along to a DBS checking session.

Group 1

If you can provide at least one document from this group then you need three documents in total (one from group one and two more from any other group).

Items marked (UK) must be issued by the UK authorities (for example only a UK driving licence is allowed)

Group 1 documents
Current valid passport
Biometric residence permit (UK)
Driving Licence (UK)
(Full or provisional licence from England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland/Isle of Man; either photocard or paper. A photocard licence is only valid if presented with the paper counterpart.)
Birth Certificate (UK)
(Issued at the time of birth – full or short form acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas, such as Embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces) Photocopies not acceptable.
Group 2A

If you can only provide Group 2 documents then you need at least one document from this group, and three documents in total.

Group 2A documents
Current UK driving licence – photo card (where a counterpart has been issued but no counterpart is presented)
Current UK driving licence (old style paper version)
Current non UK photo driving licence (valid for up to 12 months from the date the applicant entered the UK)
Birth certificate (UK and Channel Islands) - Issued after the time of birth by the General Register Office/relevant authority i.e. Registrars.
Photocopies are not acceptable.
Marriage/civil partnership certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
Adoption certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
HM Forces ID Card (UK)
Fire Arms Licence (UK; Channel Islands and Isle of Man)
Group 2B

Items marked * must be less than three months old, and those marked ** must have been issued within past 12 months.

Items marked (UK) must be issued by the UK authorities

Group 2B documents
Mortgage statement** (UK and EEA)
Bank/Building Society Statement* (UK and EEA)
Bank/Building Society Account Opening Letter (UK)
Credit card statement* (UK and EEA)
Financial statement** e.g. pension, endowment ISA (UK)
P45/P60 statement** (UK and Channel Islands)
Council Tax statement** (UK and Channel Islands)
Work permit/visa (UK) - valid up to expiry date
Letter of sponsorship from future employment provider (non UK or EEA only)
Utility bill* (UK) - can't be mobile telephone
Benefit statement* (UK) e.g. Child Allowance, pension
A document from Central/Local Government/Government Agency/Local Authority giving an entitlement* (UK and Channel Islands) e.g. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, Customs and Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social Security
EU National ID Card
Cards carrying the PASS accreditation LOGO (UK and Channel Islands)